featured banner showing grove arcade closed during wwii

1942 - Closed During World War II

As part of the United States efforts during World War II, the Grove Arcade was closed by the federal government and used by the military for the duration of the war. Officials chose the building because it was large and located in a safe, remote place—important considerations in the war effort. Seventy-four shops and 127 offices were evicted with less than one month’s notice.

Scroll to Top