1929 - Grand Opening
When Grove Arcade held its Grand Opening 1929, it quickly became home to a fine collection of local shops and services. Tenants included candy and cigar stores, a haberdashery, a public stenography office, fruit stands, millinery shops, beauty parlors and barbershops, a photography center, bookstalls and specialty groceries. Offices filled the upper floors. For 13 years, from 1929 to 1942, the Arcade was the center of commercial and civic life in Western North Carolina.